Wednesday 17 July 2013

drag kings???

I've been having a wee look on the net for drag kings...It occurred to me that I could possibly carry off a male singer tribute, but I'm not sure which way to go with that.  Having seen the amazing Jason Porter do his Michael Buble tribute, I wonder if that would be an idea.  My voice is a natural contralto/mezzo soprano mix, so my range is quite wide.  My Elvis songs go down a treat...
"But who wants to watch a whole night of some woman singing men's songs?" I asked myself.  So onto the net I went.

It seems (http://www.lesbilicious.co.uk/how-to-be-a-drag-king/) there are many drag king acts out there, but not many are showing up in Scotland.  It seems that most may be lesbians, although I understand that isn't a prerequisite.  In fact, you can even be a man, it seems!  Anything goes in the drag king world.  
Lady Gaga did it (see above) ..and some of the men's fashion houses are using women in their photoshoots. 
So what to do?  
The idea of sticking bits of hair onto my face doesn't really appeal to me - I recently dyed my hair blonde so I didn't have to wear a scratchy, hot wig for my Adele tribute.  It helps for my 80s and rock tribute too, as blonde goes with any musical style.  So cutting it isn't an option.
So do I go for a male tribute?  Or just create a show as me singing rat pack songs etc?  And what to wear?
I could put on a suit and a hat...

Suggestions & Answers to mail@joanie.co.uk

Thanks


J

www.joaniesings.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment