Thursday 17 January 2013

Technology? Canny be good for you...

Well they say kids have their heads stuck into their games machines far too much these days...I would agree that a time limit should be imposed, but who are we really to say such things, I ask?  I spent hours and hours watching two plumbers shoot, fly and ground pound their way through various worlds, and spent an unbelievable time sorting blocks as they fell down to make a wall. I think my gaming time has been well spent, and would encourage my daughter to take advantage of all the technology she can get her hands on.  Her knowledge of the world is not limited to Mario characters, or what moves her Pokemon can do.  Her reasoning and logic skills are challenged by puzzle games, quizzes and strategy games, and her hand eye coordination is brilliant!  she can dance and sing along with Just Dance, rarely sits down while playing the Wii (even if the game doesn't require jumping about).  

Then there's other technology.  If someone had told me 20 years ago that you would have access to a mine of information so mindbogglingly huge you could find out almost anything you wanted to know about almost immediately, I'd have checked them for shrooms. And not Mario shrooms... I amaze myself with my constant need for information myself, whether it be on Facebook or other sites...Whereas we would have had to go to the library or consult some Tefal head for info on something, it's there, right there in the palm of your hand.  

Now I know, and you know that some of what is on the net is rubbish.  Claims of wonder drugs and diet pills etc are all over the place, but again i think we are all becoming more choosy about what we believe and disbelieve, and we should always check these facts thoroughly.

So, back to the sprog.  I'm more than happy for her to spend time with her 3ds, wii or android tablet, as they can all be used to expand our minds, hand eye coordination and logic skills.  Those who say we are wasting our time playing on "they hings" should pick one up and have a look.  I think they will find they might have a bit of fun, step outside their wee world and finally realise that technology can be our friend.....

I'm away back to play Call of Duty MW3 again - I've just prestiged up to level 3, so if you'll excuse me......

No comments:

Post a Comment