Friday 25 January 2013

How much promotion is too much promotion?

It occurred to me today that I may be promoting myself too much.  But then maybe not.  How much promotion is too much promotion?

I find myself without a gig this weekend.  Well my family need to eat and I have bills to pay.  But in letting people know I'm available several times I wonder if I'm not just p*ssing them off.  I know on my social networking sites there are some who are seemingly never done blowing their own trumpet, and I must admit to getting a wee bit fed up seeing the same stuff over and over.  But then is that a bad thing?  Surely if you promote something in the morning, it's sensible to repeat your promotion in the evening just in case anyone missed it?  
I must admit to being torn between the need to fill this year's diary and not wanting to be a right pain in the *rse.  Is it a case of he who shouts loudest is heard?  Or are people all like me, selecting to hide status updates from people who bug you with the same stuff time and time again.

So does being seen and heard equate to success?  by, in essence, spamming the masses are we just looking to cast a wider net to catch ourselves a gig/audience/ticket sales?

We all know the dreadful garbage that is churned out by the fat cat record producers of this world, with their so called "Stars" (dreary guys mumbling their way through a cover of a song that used to be perfectly good before the powers that be got their money stained wee paws on it, thank you very much), tunes that are so heavily marketed and promoted, being played in every shop and on every tv show until our wee brains can take no more and the masses start to believe that this garbage is the epitome of music in the 21st century.

Maybe I'm just getting too old to appreciate new music.  Like Billy Connolly said, "That's no music, that's just a noise".  Well a generation of kids are growing up aspiring to be lollipop headed autotuned media puppets.  Sad. With their orange skin, jet black hair, huge false eyelashes and stupid shoes, young women (and men) are moulded by the tv and music they experience.

May I take a second to change the attitude of the public....?  

Instead of sitting in your onesie watching some reality tv sh*t on the telly, marvelling at who said what to whom and when, seeing who is the best skater out of a bunch of minor celebrites, or seeing which trainee media puppet wins the latest "Who wants to make Simon Cowell/Andrew Lloyd-Webber rich" scheme, get yerself all washed up and dressed.  Go out to your local pub or club.  

See a live act.   

They might not be what you are used to.  But they are live!  Real reality. In full colour 3d! Why not interact with real people! If you don't like that particular act or pub, try another one next week!  It's like a soap only real!

And if you can't decide where to go, please feel free to check out www.joaniesings.co.uk and see where I'm performing.  

Didn't I say I had a diary to fill???

No comments:

Post a Comment