Tuesday 23 April 2013

The UK's No 1??!!

As a tribute artist myself ...

(ahem - Joanie sings...the 80s - Joanie sings...ROCK! - Joanie Sings...Adele)

..I find it hard to believe that everyone who says they are the 

"No1 [insert act] in the UK" 

actually is. I understand that some of these acts have been in some competition or other, in which case I agree that they should let us know how they got on.  I don't suppose saying you were voted "not bad" or came third runner up in the "I can sing an Adele song" category would get you many bookings, and I understand that we all have to market ourselves to the best of our ability, but can ALL of these people be the No 1 ANYTHING?

I don't purport to be The No 1 at anything I do.  I'm good, but I haven't been in any competitions in which another similar act was judged.  So I don't say I'm the best.  

"Ooh!" I hear you say - "says she's good! - Check her! Who does she think she is?".  

Why is it unacceptable to tell someone you are good at what you do?  And yet somehow acceptable to make up some fancy title for your act?  
I have a 50m swimming certificate I got when I was 3.  But I don't say I'm an award winning act!  
Similarly I've sung in a karaoke bar in Tenerife.  Does that make me an international singing sensation?  erm no.  I think not. (I hear that being a singer in Tenerife isn't that well paid btw, so I'll rule that out as a retirement plan.)

So how does Joe Public know who to go and see?  When faced with so many choices, and each one claiming to be the best in their field, what's a person to do?  

Well you're kinda stuck, as he who shouts loudest in this profession usually gets heard (hence the X factor/Voice/BGT shambles every year - play something enough times and it'll worm its autotuned garbage into everyone's ears til they think it's good).  This business is honestly like the Emperor's new clothes sometimes - if there's enough hype, if enough people say something is great, those who disagree will think it must be they who are wrong, and they will follow, sheep-like ("Oh aye, she's magic by the way").
So that explains why some of the singers you see out and about at your local get bookings.  You know the ones...

I'm aware I'm sounding awfy bitter here, by the way.  That's cos I am.

My face doesny fit in a lot of situations.  I'm not a "Yes woman".  I have my own mind.  I decide where and when I perform.  There are places I won't go back to as I've had the soul sucked right out of me.  There are people I won't work with or for, and you might have noticed I'm kinda opinionated.

So...should I try and be what I'm not?  Other than dressing as Adele, I would say no.  I am good at what I do, and as this year's New Year resolution went, I will neither give nor take bullshit.  And I haven't.

J

ps Joe Public can visit my website at www.joaniesings.co.uk, and also see and hear some of what I do at www.reverbnation.com/joaniesings

x



No comments:

Post a Comment