Wednesday 20 March 2013

Yeah thanks a lot Charlie Brooker!

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a sci-fi fan.  A proper wibbly wobbly, timey wimey, final frontier, make it so, engage, warehouse 13, person of interest, vampire loving, werewolf hugging, ghostie kinda sci-fi fan.

But not Zombies.

No.

No way.

I believe I used to watch all your Romero movies, with shambling, discombobulated (love that word!) semi clad brain dead morons shuffling towards the screen.  I marvelled at how they ever caught anyone, travelling at what looks like 0.001mph. And why was it always shopping malls?  I know M&S have a great range of food, and if you ignore the horsemeat, so does Tesco etc.  But do they sell brain?  Well that's between them and the DNA experts.  But why a fricking shopping centre?
Ah it occurs to me that that is where the frightened people go when there are zombies about - I mean nothing says safe from Zombie brain eating death like a bunch of helium filled balloons and an empty British Home Stores eh?

Anyway, you get the point.  I pretty much lumped 'em in with the rest of your supernatural beasties (Oh I forgot to mention Supernatural - Sam and Dean...mmmm..oh and Cass) until Charlie frickin Brooker wrote a TV show called "Dead Set"

here's a wee summary...

Britain has a big problem. The dead are returning to life and attacking the living. The people they kill get up and kill – and it’s spreading like wildfire. Curiously, there are a few people left in Britain who aren’t worried about any of this – that’s because they’re the remaining contestants in Big Brother. Cocooned in the safety of the Big Brother house.....etc

All fine and well.  Until you see a screaming Patrick, the producer, being torn to pieces by some zombies.  They're not slow, they do not shamble.  They eat his intestines while he screams.  

It's givin me the boke just thinking about it again.
Even Davina McCall looked frickin scary!

So that image stays in my brain forever more now - I cannot scrub it or replace it with something else.  Now I can't even look at any film or TV programme that has Zombies in it.  I am told that The Walking Dead is a helluva show.  


I'll never see it.


Thanks a bunch Charlie Brooker...you b*stard.



No comments:

Post a Comment