Friday 15 February 2013

educating the young in the ways of musicality

I am so happy to tell you that it seems my daughter is destined to follow in my footsteps as a talented wee muso.  She doesn't play anything as yet but has a great ear for music.And a good voice and great memory for lyrics (unlike her mum lol)
Tonight I am mostly carrying out an experiment, letting her hear as many genres of music rather than sticking her in front of the wii/3ds/tv.  She is, however, on Facebook.  I canny tie her down after all...

Here are my findings....

Stevie wonder is cool.  She spent a lot of time during "Superstition" humming the various riffs.
Jamiroquai is not cool.  She did not show any interest at all.  Perhaps she has taste after all....
Pink Floyd is a bit much for her, as she has now started a game of bejeweled blitz on Facebook. 
She likes "Smoke on the Water", but mostly know the Raving Rabbids version.  That's good enough for me."Satisfaction" by the Rolling stones is the same.  Rabbids...

I've been recording some songs for a new page for my website at www.joaniesings.co.uk (not constructed yet), and find that a lot of the songs i am recording are working their way into my daughter's subconscious, and I hear her humming them in the shower and whilst playing.

When asked what genre she preferred, I got the reply "I just like the music".

Maybe we have to give our kids the opportunity to hear all types of music, from current pop to punk and rock, and a bit of classical and jazz too.  Obviously we must look out for explicit or unacceptable language, but even then kids generally know what's acceptable language.  And what not to repeat.  
Or am I being naive?

I always thought that "the original is the best" is something associated with being an old fart, but I find myself resisting new versions of old songs. This, in itself, is a bit of a cheek, being that I sing covers of well known songs on a weekly basis...
So sometimes it doesn't do any harm to remaster or reinvent an old classic song - even throwing it into a video game can mean that a kid hears it.  Then they can find the original and explore the artist's back catalogue as quick as they can download the tunes.  

So educate your kids in more than the basics.  They are wee sponges.  Give them as wide a variety of experiences as you can while they are still young enough to listen.  Soon enough they will resist...

Anyway, my train of thought has reached its station, so there you go.  I never promised my ramblings would make sense.



xxx
Joanie

Ps but no one wants to be Rick Moranis.....and if you don't get that reference then tough....


No comments:

Post a Comment